After spending a few extra minutes in the mirror this morning, you’ve decided that your smile needs a bit of a touch-up. Your teeth are looking more yellow than white these days, and you’ve always wished they were a little straighter. Obviously, you need to go to a dentist, but after searching the internet, you start seeing a new term: cosmetic dentist. How is this different from a general dentist? Is this the kind of doctor you should visit when it comes to your smile’s appearance? Today, we’ll tell you why a cosmetic dentist is exactly who you need to see when it comes to making your smile more beautiful.
What is a Cosmetic Dentist?
A cosmetic dentist is a doctor who practices…cosmetic dentistry. That may seem obvious, but the question then becomes, “What is cosmetic dentistry?”
Cosmetic dentistry is a collection of services specifically dedicated to improving the appearance (and at times, the function) of your smile. Basically, a general dentist will make sure your teeth are healthy and strong, and a cosmetic dentist will make sure that your smile is “camera ready.” They can eliminate minor imperfections and enhance your smile’s look so you can always feel confident about your teeth.
A cosmetic dentist will have taken extra training specifically dedicated to this collection of treatments. They’ll have real world experience applying them, vast technical knowledge of how they work, and a refined, artistic touch as well. So now that you know what a cosmetic dentist is, now comes the fun part: what all can they actually do for you smile?
How They Can Beautify Your Smile
When looking for a cosmetic dentist, keep your eye out for these treatments:
- Tooth-Colored Fillings: These are made of a composite resin as opposed to metal, and they can be specially shaded so that they blend in completely with your teeth, making them much more subtle than traditional fillings.
- Porcelain Veneers: These are extremely thin ceramic coverings that are bonded to the front of the teeth, and they can eliminate a whole variety of flaws at once, including stains, chips, cracks, gaps, and even slightly misaligned teeth.
- All-Ceramic Restorations: All-ceramic crowns can be shaped and colored to mimic a natural tooth in every possible way, so when you need a broken tooth or cavity repaired, they’re the best way to get the most beautiful result.
- Teeth Whitening: A cosmetic dentist can give you a customized at-home whitening kit that will be much more potent and reliable than anything you can get at the store. Usually, you’ll only need to use the kit daily for a couple of weeks to get a smile that’s up to 8 shades whiter.
- Invisalign: This treatment uses a series of custom-made clear plastic aligner trays to straighten the teeth as opposed to metal braces. They’re practically invisible on the teeth, allowing you to get a straighter smile without the daily hassles of brackets and wires.
How This Affects You
If your smile needs a little help to look its best, you should always visit a cosmetic dentist. When you go to see them, they’ll know exactly how to give you the smile of your dreams. Then, it’s just a matter of time before you love who you see in the mirror every morning!
About the Author
Dr. Ernie Costello is a general, restorative, and cosmetic dentist based in Arlington Heights, IL. He currently practices at Costello Dental Excellence, and he can be reached through his website or by phone at (847) 259-1111.